The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday January 20, 2004 at 22:42
voyager9
Lurking Member
January 2004
I'm trying to install a KeyPadLinc into a simply single-outlet circuit. My goal is to use the KeyPadLinc to control both the hardwired outlet directly as well as other outlets through X10.

When I went to install the unit I found only a single cable containing the black, white, and ground wires. After doing some reading I'm guessing that the switch is at the end of the circuit. Is that a fair guess? otherwise wouldn't there be another cable with another white/black/ground combo which goes to the outlet?

My question is, how do I install the KeyPadLinc into this switch box? In the documentation for the KeyPadLinc it says I need to use cable black to line, white to neutral, and red to the load. I cabled black to black, white to white, and capped yellow and red wires. After power was applied I could control X-10 devices, but the hardwired outlet would not work.

I guess it makes sense that the outlet doesn't work since Load is capped, but what do I tie this into? Is it safe to tie the red and white wires on the KeyPadLinc into the white wire heading out of the box?

I'm rather new to this. Any help will be appreciated.
Dave

Hosting Services by ipHouse