Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Wednesday March 1, 2000 at 22:14
Mark Paquette
Historic Forum Post
I'm pretty sure that the 555 has no S-Link in/out. Daniel is correct that the S-Video plug, when inserted into the Wega, physically disables the Composite(RCA) video input, even if nothing is connected to the other end of the S-video cable. The easiest way to get around this is to use Composite(RCA) video for everything-forget about the S-video. I know that kind of stinks, but it does make the system easiest to use using the Sony touchscreen remote. Compare the S-video signal of the Sat with it's Composite(RCA)--I think you'll find that the difference (if you can see any at all) is worth being able to use your touchscreen remote much more easily.
Here's how I usually connect this system:
(All connections are Left, Right, and Composite(RCA) video, except the 555's MONITOR OUT, which is only Video):

The jacks on the TV labled "TV OUT" go to 555 "VIDEO 1 IN". (For watching Cable TV that's connected to either of the TV's antenna inputs.) "MONITOR OUT" on the TV can also be used instead, but I like using "TV OUT", especially with a Cable Box, where the TV would be set on Channel 3.

The A4 Satellite receiver's Left, Right, Video, and Optical out go to the 555 "TV/SAT IN". The Optical cable goes to 555 "TV/SAT OPTICAL IN".
The Satellite's second set of Left, Right, and Video go to the VCR's "LINE IN" jacks (for automatic Satellite recording). The IR blaster plugs into the back of the A4 and gets placed in front of the VCR's IR window.

The VCR's Left, Right, and Video out go to the 555 "VIDEO 2 IN".

The 555's "MONITOR OUT"(RCA only) to the Wega's "VIDEO 1" input (RCA Video only, no Audio)

On the 555, re-label the inputs:(without quotes)
VIDEO 1 re-label to "CABLE TV"
VIDEO 2 re-label to "VCR"
TV/SAT re-label to "SATELITE" (Not enough room for 2 "L"'s in "SATELLITE"
Use the Download function of the touchscreen to download your new names so they appear on the touchscreen.
On the touchscreen, assign the inputs (assign IR, I think?) to the devices they will control(SAT is a Sony SAT, CABLE TV is a Sony TV, VCR is a Sony VTR3, etc.)
Also, use the touchscreen's "FUNCTION HOOK UP" (I think that's what they call it) to "tell" it what components you actually have connected. This way, only the ones you actually have will appear on the touchscreen.
Also, on the touchscreen, set the AUTO FUNCTION to ON. You have to do this each time you replace the batteries too. Set the STANDBY to ALL OFF.

Remember to go into the A4's menu, choose "AUDIO" and make sure that "DOLBY DIGITAL" is set to "ON". Out of the box, it's not.

After all is done:

Pressing "CABLE TV" on the touchscreen will turn the 555 and Wega on, and put the Wega to it's Antenna input. You'll see the Cable TV picture and the sound will be sent to the 555 via the TV OUT jacks on the back of the TV.

Pressing "SATELITE" or "VCR" on the touchscreen will turn the 555 and Wega on, and put the Wega to it's "VIDEO 1" input. In this case, the Satellite and/or VCR signals are sent through the 555 and into the Wega's Video 1 input.

Go to channel 800 and make sure that the 555 is "seeing" the Dolby Digital signal. (Blue light on 555 should come on.)

The touchscreen always makes the TV go to Video 1 unless you have told the touchscreen that you are controlling a Sony TV, as in "CABLE TV".

Keep in mind that the Wega may not change from Antenna to INPUT 1 when it is first turned on. Just re-select your source from the touchscreen if anything gets out of synch.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought it might help. I don't mean to offend anyone by simplifying things too much, but it always helps to have more, than less, info, I think!

Mark Paquette

Hosting Services by ipHouse