The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 40 made on Sunday January 9, 2005 at 18:08
Bill Shenefelt
Long Time Member
November 2004
I have a single sub in a 7 1/2 cu ft enclosure. An 18 inch JBL pro driver. Real good from about 24 to 40 cps (Jbl uses it to 500 cps in studio monitors, so believe me it is not a boom box speaker). Not just thump but true tones. Will give steady output in the 120 to 130 db range with a decent bridged 250 watt amp. In reality, 100 watts will do nicely. Initially I got it for the stereo but the 15" jbls down to 36 cps cover all but some really big pipe organ and the extra crossover does more harm than gained by the sub. For TV like the harrier in True Lies, it is awsome.
If you want to do it yourself, a 6 to 8 cu ft enclosure using 1" to 1.25" thick high density particle board and 2x2 hardwood inner frame and bracing is not too expensive to build and the driver costs aroud $5 to $6 hundred. For a port, a length of 6 inch schedule 40 pvc works well. If you need more length for the duct, use an elbow on the duct. For finish, I used walnut veneer, but even flat black paint then cover with some black knit material for a budget . Figure about $800 all told for a speaker selling for a few grand.
Actually I use a pair of 6 cu ft jbl home mede boxes with compression drivers and 15 inch bass drivers for side channels and rarely bother with the sub. IFyou are using the tiny satellites, this might be too much of a sub though.
Bill Shenefelt

Hosting Services by ipHouse