colin.p
Long Time Member
December 2004
On 08/19/05 03:26 ET, djy said...
Oh goody. A "punch up". Let's start the ball
rolling then.

[Link: epinions.com]

Interesting article.
I remember the first time I heard 901's at the Audio show at the Chateau Laurier Hotel in Ottawa (circa 1969), and I must admit they did sound "interesting". However at the time, the speakers that sounded the best and the ones that we could hear in the elevator on the first floor ( the show was on the ninth) was the legendary Klipshorns.

I found that the 901's sounded the best when they were played at ear splitting volumes, such as at a strip club or bar. When listening to them at a audio shop (such as Wackid Radio or Treble Clef), they were not as good sounding, at least to me, and many others were far better sounding, especially in a real home surrounding with carpets, drapes and furniture.

However, the 901's were in a class of their own, but the new editions of the HTIB systems that Bose now makes are over priced-mediocre sounding systems. Then again, no one here would even contemplate buying a HTIB system from any of the other manufacturers that charge a bloody fortune either.
I say, if someone wants to buy a Bose system and they "appear" to like it, go for it.

Just my opinion,
Colin

Hosting Services by ipHouse