The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Thursday July 28, 2005 at 09:07
bamazealot
Lurking Member
July 2005
There is a shielded Polk Audio center speaker located 1' above the TV. The problem occurred whenever I turned the TV on with the discrete On, even after removing the speaker. The internal TV speakers are on the sides of the TV.

At the time the problem started, nothing had changed except using the discrete On code. The problem occurred consistently and worsened over a period of 2-3 weeks. I ran about a dozen trials, and the serious discoloration problem only occurred when using the discrete On code. Since I have switched back to my Sony remote, the serious discoloration problem is gone -- there is only a small residual effect.

Even when using the discrete On code I could sometimes hear the “boing” of the degausser. However, something must not have happened exactly right, because the discoloration occurred even after I heard the “boing” of the degausser.

The tech waved a degaussing coil in front of the TV screen for a few seconds. He did not take the TV apart. My concern is that using the discrete On code over a period of time may have allowed a build up of magnetism on some parts of the TV if the discrete On code failed to cause the TV to degauss properly when it was turned on.

I did find 4 *small* magnetic latches on the entertainment center that were basically at the corners of the TV. It’s possible that these magnets in combination with improper degaussing are the cause of the problem. I guess my question is: should I pay to have another tech come out and degauss the TV again to try to get rid of the residual discoloration, now that the internal degausser appears to be working pretty well when using the Sony remote? Would an external degausser be any better than the built-in degausser?

Hosting Services by ipHouse