The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday July 27, 2005 at 23:41
bamazealot
Lurking Member
July 2005
A few weeks ago, I programmed a Pronto remote and started using it with my home theater. My TV is a Sony KV-34HS510, 34” Trinitron WEGA. I got the discrete off/on codes for Sony TV’s from http://www.remotecentral.com/ and I was using those. I soon noticed that the sides of the TV were becoming badly discolored (up to 3-4” on each side). I had a technician come out and degauss the TV, but the problem came back as soon as I turned it back on.

Through experimentation, I finally realized that the problem only occurred when I used the discrete “On” code from the Pronto. The problem did not occur when turning the TV on using the Sony remote.

So, everything is back to normal EXCEPT that I now have a very slight discoloration even when turning the TV on using the Sony remote. It is only an area ~1/2” wide x 4” high on each side of the screen – not nearly as bad as when using the discrete On code. But I would like to get rid of it if I can.

One thing I noticed is that the top part of the screen pulls a compass’ North toward the screen; the bottom part of the screen pushes North away from the screen. So, the top and bottom of the screen have different charges, and the discolored area occurs in the neutral area between the top and bottom.

Do you have any ideas about what can be done? Is it normal for the top and bottom of the screen to have different charges? I wonder if using the discrete On code for a period of weeks, or having the TV degaussed actually messed it up permanently.

Hosting Services by ipHouse