Greg Cutshaw
Historic Forum Post
I bought one of these 2 days ago and it has replaced 5 remotes for me:

Sony Satellite Directv
Kenwood VR-309 audio receiver
Sony 35" TV
Sony SLV-575 VCR
RCA DVD

For the Sony TV, VCR, Satellite and RCA DVD all I had to do was enter the device code and I had all the functions I needed. In ALL cases the layout of this remote not only consolidated everthing but was also easier to use because of the backlighting and ergonomic layout. I have decided not to pursue the SL-9000 or even the MX-1000 because this remote has achieved (for me) what all the others are striving for. I did have to teach the codes manually for the Kenwood VR-309 but when I was done I had a much easier to use remote than the Kenwood remote. For example if I press 1, the receiver goes to VCR1, 2=VCR2, 3=DVD, 4=CD, 5=tuner, 6=tape and 7=aux. No more having to toggle through the audio and video selects (thanks above to the poster who told me how to do this)! My Dad was so impressed he is going to buy one. When I was in Radio Shack it took me 30 seconds to convince another customer that he should buy one (I was armed only with the knowledge in this forum at that point). He and I bought the last two in the store, I had to settle for the display model. For my Sony TV even the mute, menu, favorite channel and display keys were pre-programmed. For macros I will probably add the extended code for device off (as opposed to toggle) so I can have a power off key. It would still be interesting to see if upgrades or existing codes will handle the VR-309 but at point I don't need them.

Greg

Hosting Services by ipHouse