Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 126 made on Tuesday December 7, 1999 at 19:55
Mike
Historic Forum Post
I picked up the 15-1994 after my brother asked me to get one for him (he lives in Canada, where they are apparently unavailable), and after I read the messages in this forum. I am replacing a Sony RM-AV2000 with it because I prefer real buttons over a touchscreen. That way I can flop on the sofa and find the buttons by feel, instead of having to look at the damn thing!

I have some general comments on a few discussions in this thread.

First, for selecting a video input on Sony TVs:

You can select an input directly, instead of hitting a channel number and then cycling through the inputs. For example, the magic code for selecting TV is 243, and Video 1 is 546.

Also, all Sony equipment has "Power On" and "Power Off" codes, as opposed to "Power Toggle". Most other manufacturers probably have these, too.

To deal with the delay required for my TV and receiver to power-up before I can select a Video Input or Component Select, I've set up macros as follows:

Power: Turns on TV and Receiver.
P - Power: TV Power-down, Receiver Power-down, DVD Power-down, etc.
1s: Selects tuner on TV, and TV on Receiver.
2s: Selects Video1 on TV, DVD on Receiver, Power-up on DVD.
3s: Selects Video1 on TV, VHS on Receiver, Power-up on VHS.
etc.

When I first start up, I hit the Power button. Once the TV and Receiver are warmed up, I hit the appropriate smart button for the desired component.

My only gripe about the 15-1994 is: it doesn't have enough memory! I have a ReplayTV, which does not have a device/manufacturer code, so I've used up all of the learning memory on it (and I'd still like to train a few keys). After that, I used up all of the macro/magic memory on my other devices (and I'd still like to add some magic codes).

If there was a code to take care of the basics on the ReplayTV, I don't think I would have run out of memory. As it is, I'm out of luck. (If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know!)

The one nice thing about the (now retired) Sony AV2000 is that it has a TON of memory.

If Radio Shaft came out with a double-memory 15-1994, I would buy it - even if it cost double!

Hosting Services by ipHouse