Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 163 made on Friday January 26, 2001 at 07:31
David Steer
Historic Forum Post
Ok...here goes.I wrote to practically everyone that I could think of at ntl to try and clear this up once and for all.

Here is the response I received:

-------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your letter of 15 January regarding an alternative set top box to support your digital installation.

The Di4001N set top box is the ntl equivalent of the DITV1000 and were both developed by Pace at about the same time. The different numbers were used by Pace to distinguish their different products for what at the time were two different Companies - ntl and Cable & Wireless, not to indicate that the 4001 is a newer model than the 1000.

Being two separate companies at that time CWC and ntl opted for different infra red remote control handsets, both providing the same number of buttons etc but using different protocols.

The Phillips Learning Remote Control is not designed to be able to replace the handset for the DITV1000 and is not able to learn it's sophisticated protocol.

Set top boxes only work on the networks for which they were designed so it is not possible for a Di4001 to be used in the ex CWC area of West Kensington. In the future it is likely that a set top box will be developed to work on both networks.

I do hope I have clarified the position for you.

David Stephenson
Customer Care Co-ordinator

-------------------------------------------------------
I think that we can call this a full and comprehensive answer and I for one am prepared to accept that this is the end of the matter. THERE IS NO WAY MY PRONTO WILL WORK WITH A CABLE BOX IN MY AREA….BOO HOO!

It’s been fun.

Hosting Services by ipHouse