The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Saturday February 25, 2023 at 18:54
Impaqt
RC Moderator
October 2002
On February 25, 2023 at 18:12, tomciara said...
I see remote control manufacturers in this twilight zone, much like video rental stores were in 15 years ago. The market is shrinking dramatically. A single cable box remote can operate most simple systems. The jump to these programmable remotes is a huge one.

Nevertheless, understanding the engineering and development costs for these new remotes, divided by how many they expect to sell, it just means it is a high price if they are going to survive at all. If not for OEM remotes, URC and UEI wouldn't have much to do. And OEM remotes for cable boxes are not exactly cash cows.

I agree. I do love my clients that dont flinch at $1500 for a basic remote system, but it is pretty outrageous when you think about it.

Seems to me they could be OEMing some of stuff rather than custom building. My Stupid Bedjet has a Zigbee Remote with a full color screen that was a $39 option..... You cant tell me a raspberry pi wouldn't run C4 OS with minimal Effort. Boomers and Xers will spend money on this stuff... I dont see many Millennials Or Z's getting excited about automation because they grew up on their phones.... Everything they use already has an app.

Hosting Services by ipHouse