Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 20 made on Monday June 6, 2022 at 10:30
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On June 4, 2022 at 11:41, buzz said...
The audio taper controls just add a little confusion for the human who might expect the taper to be linear. 70% rotation is not 70% of rated output -- especially since we don't know the input voltage. (it could be zero if the input is silent)  It's still just a voltage divider.

Those little "boxes" are simple voltage dividers. It's easy enough to design your own. There are two issues that can bite. First, calculate the power dissipation of the resistors at the full power speaker terminal output voltage, then keep the values low enough that cable capacitance will not roll off the highs, but high enough that you won't burn up the little box or pill capsule that you are using to house the network.

If you are super worried about high frequency roll off, include a little buffer amplifier with a very short wire to the divider network.

Most people don't know the difference between audio vs linear taper, anyway.

I have used many high-low level converters when I did car audio but those were maybe 15W/channel and even then, some of them burned up. The issue is usually in the power rating of the resistors and how the heat is dissipated, as well as how long it's receiving the signal at that level.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse