The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 22 made on Monday September 6, 2021 at 09:53
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On September 5, 2021 at 20:08, Daniel Tonks said...
A dual WAN-capable router will automatically “failover” to an alternate internet connection (cell, rural RF, whatever) if one should go down. Definitely the way to go if reliability of internet access is paramount.

I'm actually looking into using a router with a SIM card slot- some friends sold their house and bought an RV to use until their new place has been built and to drive to Florida, then take their boat to the Bahamas- they traveled on the boat to FL, hauled the boat out while they're here and will store the RV inside of the marina grounds when they're in the Bahamas. Because they won't be directly connected to the internet while here, they need something that can be independent and while I had checked into Cradlepoint and a couple of other brands in the past, it has been a few years and some others have entered this part of the market and I assume that's because so many people bought boats & RVs during COVID. If they can't travel by commercial carriers, they're using something more private and they still want their internet.

I found a Netgear modem with SIM and WAN, will do around 150Mbps and it's price is less than 20% of the Cradlepoint, plus the Cradlepoint carrier cost is higher, so their plan would to be: buy a SIM card from their cell phone carrier and use the Netgear in the RV, so they'll have connection wherever their carrier can provide decent signal. Once I found this, I started thinking that if I were to go this way and use a SIM card from my cell carrier, I could save almost half of the cost of using Spectrum and even if the speed isn't as high, it might be fast enough for most of what I do.

I can easily connect a larger battery to the UPS and could always install a solar panel for 'worst case scenarios' to cover the power going down for an extended period. The cost of solar panels and the associated electronics is dropping, so it wouldn't break the bank.

Somewhat funny story about fallback ports-

One of my clients is married to a metallurgical engineer who said that he likes to build computers and is the webmaster at the company where he works. I did a house for her in 2003 and when she bought a different house, I did the low voltage work there, too- this was before he ever entered the picture and he has a pattern of thinking that a problem exists where there is none. He didn't like the last remote control, so he broke it- she's not a technical wizard, yet she had no problems with it. He couldn't get the Master BR system to work, so he pushed just about every button possible while he was freaking out and I received a text from her, saying that she "had to talk him off of the ledge". Late in 2019, he bought a Ubiquity AP and couldn't get it set up, so I went there and told him to download their dashboard and he finally got that to work. Not long after, he went out and bought an ASUS gaming router and immediately had no WiFi in any area other than where they could connect directly to the ASUS- I had wired the rest of the house (which is very large) and installed APs in a few locations with a 24 port switch in the basement that connected directly to the router in the 2nd Floor office so they'd have internet even if the switch failed. He had decided that a mouse chewed through a cable in a wall, most likely in the Master BR, so I went there to look at it. He was being a pest, so I said I would go back the next day (I have the code to get in when they aren't there) and that night, I looked into that model of router to get some info. The first photo of the back shows a fallback port and I had my 'AhHa' moment. I went there and sure enough, he had plugged the cable that's supposed to be in a LAN port into the fallback. We talked later and when I said the cable was in the wrong port, she just said "Typical".
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse