Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Friday August 20, 2021 at 22:17
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Stanley, Dude!
Good to hear from you. You're right about the high blood pressure, as well as other causes of tension.

For me, vintage includes three Phase Coupled Activators (a tremendously hokey designation if there ever were one), a Fisher Model 50 (I think) mono phono preamp, a Marantz 33 (I think; it's tube, stereo, and one channel is dead), and a record collection that includes three copies of the record that Columbia issued in 1910 when they totally blew Victor out of the water by introducing records with sound on BOTH SIDES! The Columbia Double Disc, it was called. All of Victor's catalog had a recording only on one side. The Double Disc had something on each side and they cost less than one Victor Disc.

Is there an electronics parts store in Seattle that has vintage equipment sitting on the top shelf around their main floor? I've seen that a place or two.

On August 20, 2021 at 09:16, rmalbers said...
I'm not sure how 'old' vintage is but I started working a one channel of a Marantz 500M last winter, my big hangup is getting matching output stage transistors.

When I went through the Marantz plant in Sun Valley, CA, yes, around 1971, they were buying quantities of transistors and measuring each one, categorizing them by how well they matched. Your answer is to get enough to luck into a few matching pairs. (Which partly explains the high cost of the product.)
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse