The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Thursday September 24, 2020 at 13:33
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
I love the IRKiller and Irene posts. That's some funny stuff there.

On September 24, 2020 at 10:31, buzz said...
Ernie,

For your initial testing, don't enable HDMI OUT 2 and don't connect anything to that output. One can sometimes get into some EDID spats with equipment connected to HDMI OUT 2

That's how I started. The first line of TEST 3 at the end of this post shows exactly what I got when I connected that way. I connected the HR24 to HDMI IN 2, HDMI OUT 1 to my TV, turned things on, got no sound.

I never even SAW the HDMI OUT switch button until I pushed it by mistake -- that tiny button is a stupid bit of design! Anyway, I never imagined I would EVER connect anything to HDMI OUT 2 until the exact connections you recommend did not work (by the way, AFTER I had connected some things to HDMI 2 OUT, HDMI 1 OUT worked just the same.

Yes, I initially connected the receiver without resetting it, as I could not find the instructions for that in the manual. (I later found that I should have looked for "microcomputer" in the manual.) So I did some things, most from the remote. I ended up doing a service reboot over the network.

This is important:
When I simply could not get it to work right, even after resetting, I took it to the service company recommended by Yamaha and across the street from Yamaha, who a)did a reboot, b)found no problem, and c)returned the unit to me... and I had exactly the same problem.

The problem started at the very beginning. I connected the HR24 to HDMI IN 2, and a new LG TV to HDMI OUT 1. I got no sound.

After too much time trying things out, and AFTER THEY REBOOTED at the service company:

In doing this, I just wanted to connect a device's HDMI output to HDMI 1 (or 2) and get a friggin' video and audio output from HDMI OUT 1. That's video and audio at the same time, with the audio coming from the power amps in the Yamaha. I never turned up the volume on the TV because I wasn't going to use it that way. I only started looking at HDMI OUT 2 when I saw that it affected HDMI OUT 1's outputs.

In the charts below, V1 means video from HDMI OUT 1.
A1 means audio out from the Yamaha MAIN speaker outputs. 
V2 and A2 are the same for a second TV (my $120 19" 720P Costco test TV).
x confirms "nothing" on that particular bit of output.

TEST 1: HR24 in to HDMI 1. Cycled through all combinations of HDMI OUTs 1 and 2 as shown. (A2 never comes on, which almost makes sense; I'm monitoring amp MAIN OUTs. However, the second TV never got any audio via HDMI OUT 2... I'd think you might want that for some things.)

When I select   I get V1   A1   V2   A2
HDMI OUT 1             V1   x     x     x   no audio from output 1
HDMI OUT 2             x    A1    V2   x   audio from output 1; why?
HDMI OUT off           x    A1    x     x   audio from output 1 when all are off?
HDMI OUT 1+2         V1  A1    V2   x   finally, audio and video on 1.

TEST 2: Configured as above, changing the source to a Sony RDR-GX355 VCR/DVD combo unit gives exactly the same results. Yes, that old thing has an HDMI output.

TEST 3: After doing 1 and 2. Only HDMI OUT 1 is connected to the first TV. HDMI OUT 2 is not connected to anything.

When I select    I get      V1   A1
HDMI OUT 1                   V1   x
HDMI OUT 2                   x     A1
HDMI OUT Off                 x    A1
HDMI 1+2                      V1   x
So, a simple connection to HDMI 1 Out only gives me Video OR Audio.

On this receiver, can one clear the HDMI 2 OUT EDID by rebooting? By any less drastic measure? The manual does not make this easy by using the letters "EDID" even once.

I suspect I'll be taking this unit to Yamaha themselves, though I'd LOVE to learn some secret thing about Yamahas and push the right buttons. As to the most obvious question, I'm not exchanging this for another one because nobody has them, at least not in this area.

Thanks for your suggestions and help.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse