The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Tuesday August 11, 2020 at 12:31
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On August 10, 2020 at 14:04, Hasbeen said...
I once had a car with bad shocks, the steering was jacked up,  the brakes were shot, the floor boards were rusted out, and it needed an engine. 

No parallel. This system still looks great, and six months ago it performed perfectly... that one time they used it. The closest you might come would be to say that you don't get the expected response when pushing on the pedals.

My mechanic  searched the globe to find an engine for my rust bucket that wouldn't cost too much,  I didn't really drive it that much. 

Nope, that doesn't apply, either. You guys are overly complimenting yourselves if you think me asking here, and looking on ebay for a whole ten minutes, is "searched the globe." At this point I'm up to about thirty minutes! And I'm looking to see if anyone has that whole car in good condition somewhere, not just an engine.

Then he discounted his hourly rate so dramatically that I don't know how he made any money to install it.

No way.  The invoice for initial evaluation has already gone out, because while this is in a home, it's being paid for by an investment and real estate company.

I guess he had to do a ton of research because the engine was so old, to make sure he could even program the vehicle's computer. He literally had to buy an old computer just so the software was compatible. 

Well, no. Wait, no, I mean, no, not at all.

Then he scoured the internet for parts because my car was such a rare commodity.

No, that didn't happen, either. It was pretty clear these are not sitting around waiting to be snapped up!

No he didn't.  That's not what he did at all.  He told me to go buy a new car because he wasn't going to put lipstick on a pig.

I think the closest parallel you could torture out of these circumstances would be to say "He told me to go buy a new car because he wasn't going to spend even a minute checking his network (you guys are a network of sources, after all) to see if someone else has one of these pigs, fresh, that's been sitting in the dark doing nothing."

If you want to stick with the lipstick on a pig thing, I'm throwing out the old pig and looking for a new one.

"Oh, yeah, when he told me to buy a new car, he didn't realize that the buttons on the dash of the old car were programmed to control a gate and garage door with switch interlocks to make driving into the garage look cool, with the door closing inches after the car is in position inside the garage."

Now, that part is in the downstairs system. There's the expected coordination of a screen and projector using a macro that continues to put away the screen, waiting to put up the projector until it has gone through a cooling period
after the system has either been turned off or has been switched to a non-video input.

And in the upstairs system there's a TV with a speaker bar for video sources, and overhead speakers that run off of an amp's Zone 2 on non-video sources.

Actually the hardest part of installing any other remote will be working out the commands and timing of the macros.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse