The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Tuesday March 17, 2020 at 12:30
SWOInstaller
Select Member
October 2010
On March 17, 2020 at 11:43, highfigh said...
Do AFCI still trip easily when a vacuum cleaner is used on those circuits and is the requirement to replace as soon as they trip?

I would first look at the age of the vacuum. If it's an older unit my guess it uses an AC motor causing the ARC when it starts (same goes for cheaper/older treadmills and other workout equipment). If its a newer vacuum try it on another circuit and see if it trips that breaker as well. If it happens on multiple circuits my guess is its a vacuum issue not a breaker issue. If only happens on one circuit may be an over current issue or a sensitive breaker. I would not replace the breaker right away until investigating more.

We use Schneider electric panels and breakers and have never had a customer complain that their vacuum is tripping breakers.

One issue we did come across was Central Vacuums tripping AFCI breakers. Performing the diagnostic test on the breaker it was tripping on over current not ARC. We installed a standard (non-ARC) High inrush breaker with the faceless AFCI device and the issue stopped.

One other issue was when using a combination AFCI/GFCI breaker. These are a lot more sensitive and with some kitchen appliances plugged in (no real load just lights and clocks), the breaker would trip. We could not determine what appliance was actually causing this so added a GFCI receptacle and replaced the breaker with an AFCI only breaker which fixed the issue.
You can't fix stupid

Hosting Services by ipHouse