The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 24 made on Saturday December 28, 2019 at 10:57
tomciara
Loyal Member
May 2002
Well, this discussion has about as much likelihood of getting resolved as vinyl versus cd, Bose versus whoever… Opinions easily become fact.

The only thing I can tell you is that we had a stereo store with sound rooms, and amplifier/speaker switch boxes.

If the source was identical, and amplifiers were volume matched, a client could not tell the difference between one amplifier and another in A/B testing, feeding the same set of speakers. Volume of course depends on power output, but we are talking about a sonic signature.

Speakers, on the other hand, produced dramatic differences in sound.

I have heard for years that certain brands had a thin sound, others were fuller or warmer… My personal claim is that if you unplug an amplifier and have another one in its place in a half hour, you don’t have the reference needed for a true A/B test.

Blind A/B testing sifts out opinions in a hurry.

Nowadays you can Audyssey or whatever most A/V receivers. At that point they are not flat, so yes you may have differences. Amps set to flat are very neutral.

We sold both new and used equipment over a 30 year span. So there is not a brand on the planet that I have not heard.

Nonetheless, like every other audio debate, it will never truly be settled. All I can give you is my anecdotal information and leave it there.
There is no truth anymore. Only assertions. The internet world has no interest in truth, only vindication for preconceived assumptions.

Hosting Services by ipHouse