The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 29 made on Sunday April 28, 2019 at 10:57
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On April 26, 2019 at 17:46, sirroundsound said...
Thanks, sorry for the delay in responding.
As I did not have anything to do with the design, speaker placement etc, I can only work with what I have been given.
Initially, without documents, I was told that there were around 20 zones of music.
It is a very large home, but as many have pointed out, it does not need to be able to play 20 different things in 20 different rooms. This is more about being able to select from maybe 6 or 8 sources (His, Hers, kids, Guest, Patio... whatever. I will have to figure out naming with the client) and turn on, control volume in 20 - now 30 areas of the house. As we have no option of grouping areas and just adding volume controls, we are dealing with 30 "zones" There are at least 41 or 42 pairs of speakers throughout.
Initially, my thought was to use 20 Sonos Amps and call it a day. Not for the purpose of having something different playing everywhere, but for just the ease of set up and use.
When the client walked through with us and we discovered we were up to 30 zones, and an extra $10K was not really in the budget, I figured there would be another way to do this. I also saw a few comments about using Sonos closer to it's limits can start to have problems.

I like the idea of Yamaha as there is an RTI driver, and there are two Surround systems that I could use Yamaha AVR's in and have music cast in those areas too.
Problem,I was first told was Yamaha does not work well past 10 zones, although the Yamaha pieces mentioned above do say up to 32 zones.

I think any issues with Yamaha would involve network setup more than anything else but I could be wrong, since I haven't used that many in one system.

I wouldn't make any decisions or recommendations until I got everything in writing. Sounds like too many people are involved for this to be an easy "I would do this" and get an "OK, go ahead". I think I would sit with the homeowner and explain that you need more detail in the requirements list. Find out how many sources they really need and that will tell you a lot. You may only need a four input matrix, or you may be able to use one amplifier for more than one zone.

This would be a good time to recommend that amplifier manufacturers add IR/IP control to their products. Wouldn't be a terrible thing if separate volume controls had it, but their time isn't long, IMO.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse