The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 44 made on Monday February 11, 2019 at 09:57
EXT
Founding Member
August 2001
On February 7, 2019 at 12:16, kgossen said...
And then all you have to do is wait, and wait and wait and wait and wait.

My experience with the Canadian medical system wasn't bad, although it is far from perfect.

I fell from a step ladder, missing the bottom step and landed on my butt on a concrete floor. Broke my femur a few inches below the top. An ambulance took me to the local hospital, I was x-rayed, operated on and had a pin inserted into the bone. Next day they had me walking for physiotherapy. To check some other potential problems I had more x-rays, ultrasound and MRI. I spent a month in the hospital to recover and to receive physio. After discharge I am now receiving physio three times a week in my home.

All this is covered by government medicare, I just have to show them my medical card, and I walked out paying nothing. This is not a free program, we have to pay an annual fee with our income tax and employers also have to pay a fee for each employee. Those without employment income or those who do not pay income tax do not pay anything.

As a side note, my hospital admission document advises non-residents will have to pay between $2404.00 for ward up to $5100.00 per day for intensive care or the coronary unit.

Yes, some services have a wait-list because there is a shortage of certain specialties, and some doctors complain that they don't get paid what they think they are worth. But it is a better system than I see operating in the US.

I do have private health insurance from my employer, this covers fees and services that medicare doesn't. But medicare covers the basic services that most people need.

Hosting Services by ipHouse