The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 36 made on Sunday February 10, 2019 at 12:43
Anthony
Ultimate Member
May 2001
As a Canadian I have read this thread but mostly stayed out of the subject since it is not my place to put in my 2cents since it does not affect me

But
On February 10, 2019 at 10:49, highfigh said...
OTOH, removing the insurance from the equation will make the money go a lot farther but it will also cause a lot of people to be unemployed and the fancy headquarters will be vacant.

I hope you don't mind me adding my two cents on the above quote.

I don't think it would be that big and here is why

1) insurance is not single facetted you have car insurance, home insurance, life insurance... so the insurance companies won't go anywhere still be around

2) Here in Canada you have institutionalized medicine, but you also have companies like blue cross that specialize in health insurance. Why? elective surgery (laser eye treatment, plastic surgery),prescription drugs, dental, eye glasses, hospital upgrades (like a private room)... are not all covered by the gouvernment programme, so there is still room for health insurance programs, they just cost a lot less. There is also travel health insurance, like someone said earlier, if you get sick outside the country it is not as easy as just clicking your health card, you have to pay the bill and then when you come back you have to ask for a refund (and at least here in Quebec) the Province will only cover the equivalent of costs here.

3) don't forget the process is always the same. Someone needs a treatment, the hospital tabulates the cost it either gives the bill to the individual or passes it along to the insurance company/gouvernment. so that part is 100% the same, Now if the Gouvernment or insurance company pays it, you need someone there to tabulate it and pay the hospital. All that work force should be more or less the same.

I can see a small dip in MV for the insurance companies as their revenue decreases and so smaller bonuses for the top dogs there. But I don't think there will be massive unemployment (they will be moved to the gouvernment) or even vacant headquarters.

Hosting Services by ipHouse