The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 23 made on Friday February 8, 2019 at 09:36
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On February 7, 2019 at 11:02, Fins said...
What do you think they will get in the end? $50? It would save everyone money if the damn insurance companies would pay them $50 up front for a phone consultation, and the office wouldn’t need an army in the billing department to fight the insurance companies. I’d even be ok with giving a $10 copay for that phone consultation. It would save me time and money. If I was hourly, I’d be out roughly $75 to $100 before the copay

I have been reading about doctors and hospitals who take far less if the patient pays cash or arranges payment outside of insurance and that would put us where we were before insurance shoved their face into the whole situation. The problem comes when a catastrophic illness occurs and specialized equipment & medicines are needed- it's not something many people can afford. Fortunately, endowments and special funds are available at some hospitals- I knew someone who had a heart attack- he needed a triple bypass and a new valve. They kept him in a drug-induced coma for 5 days and without health insurance, it would have cost well over $100K, but it was covered by some kind of fund.

There's nothing easy about solving this and the size of the US population is part of that- I'd really like people to stop telling us that we should be more like Canada, Sweden or other countries when their countries have a fraction of the people we do and after their people have taken better care of themselves. The insurance industry has done a terrible job of implementing preventive care, the FDA has screwed the pooch with their food pyramid and too many people are like fish in a barrel for food commercials.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse