The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 24 made on Friday December 7, 2018 at 20:02
andrewinboulder
Select Member
August 2003
On December 7, 2018 at 14:25, Brett Bjorkquist said...
Sorry guys, I was working from 7am-9pm last night, and didn't get time to see the latest posts.

Happy to go over any of this. I know Highfigh, and he knows his stuff. He's a great dealer, and I'd trust his answers, but I totally understand when someone wants something straight from the company.

In regards to IR flashers, no issue there we can drive an emitter with visual feedback and I have both in my house currently. I use a flasher on my TV that I typically cover with a boot day to day (so I can visually verify signals are firing when testing) and another that I plug into hubs when I am testing to make sure assignable ports are firing correctly. I agree that many homeowners don't like them if they are flashing all the time when the system is working properly and the devices are visible, but that's a personal preference.

In regards to the 2.5mm question, I asked this when I first started as well. I was told that the decision was made since they wanted to make sure someone wasn't sticking in a random emitter that wouldn't work right and cause an issue. This allowed Harmony to better control the experience and since most consumers would just be using the blasters that come in the box, no real issue in doing something different than the other control manufacturers. Although years back other companies were using 2.5mm and so I also think it was also just never changed since it isn't highly requested (I've asked CS to pull the logs in the past, and it is pretty minimal). I said okay, but was also thinking I've never really seen an issue with an emitter before.

So here's the best part. About 6 months ago I'm testing another company's HDMI switch with integrated app control. So I swap out the Key Digital HDMI balun to my TV with theirs, and use the IR output to plug in my existing emitter which is probably a Xantech because I needed a 3.5 to come out of the balun. So I start testing the unit, (which is a prototype from this company to be fair) and all of a sudden I smell this burning plastic smell. I rush over to check the switch and no issue there, but then I look back at the TV and the emitter cable is dangling as it has literally melted through the plastic shell of the emitter. In 18 years of installing systems, I've never seen that happen before. So I took it to the engineering team the next day and said okay, I still think it's rare, but I guess I can't totally call BS. Obviously, I don't think the issue was the emitter not being compatible since I've used it for years, I'm assuming the issue was on the board of the balun.

Anyways, like I mentioned, I am working on a new product we designed specifically for this channel, and it has 3.5mm jacks on it. I'm not sure if we will ever change the existing SKU as the requests overall are very low like I mentioned, but new products will have 3.5mm jacks on the back as I've been pushing that since I've been at Logitech. Most guys on our side just splice the emitter into a Cat cable if needed, or use an adapter if they are going into a balun or an existing job with a 3.5mm emitter already run, but again most of the time, they just use the blasters in the retail product, or the blasters and 4-head emitters included in the Pro model.

Hope that answers the questions a bit better than an eye roll from a trainer... ; )

Brett, I think Harmony's for what they are are pretty damned impressive, however I would use them more for small budget systems if you're products weren't sold at cost all over the internet. Sure, there is a pro version but it's not hard to see it's just an extended warranty in terms of value to the customer. A customer can shop brand new Harmony Elite is $229 on Amazon all day.

Hosting Services by ipHouse