Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Wednesday December 5, 2018 at 20:57
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Writing. As in "Get it in."

A client's GC chose one of these for a client and I got to install it.

It went over a somewhat jacked-up single gangish size hole cut into a large thick piece of wood that's part of the fanciness surrounding the front door. Be ready to use custom woodworking skills if that's your situation.

It takes a bit of time after ringing for the unit to respond. Sometimes impatient delivery people are shown leaving when you get to the image.

It connects to an existing doorbell. This client's doorbell was removed when a Panasonic phone system was installed there a dozen years ago by a previous owner.

The Nest people COULD NOT, WOULD NOT tell me anything about how to connect it without a working doorbell in place. Basically they are drones who don't understand the electronics involved. So I had to put in a doorbell. Thank God a pair of wires was in place!

Since the doorbell was only to provide the electronics required for the Nest doorbell installation, I left it in the basement and nobody could hear the actual doorbell. Client didn't want to pay for me to run wires upstairs so the doorbell could be upstairs. This led to...

If the person whose phone is notified is not present, the doorbell is worthless. The GC came up with a solution for that: he got an Alexa device (I think) and put it near the front door. When someone hits the Nest button, this thing announces that there's someone at the front door. Whew. What a lot to go through.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse