The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 26 made on Tuesday December 4, 2018 at 04:01
Chris LaRussa
Long Time Member
September 2002
On December 2, 2018 at 23:25, Brad Humphrey said...
Genie has ALWAYS had network issues (going back to the HR34, which didn't even have WiFi built-in). They are not going to fix anything (especially not AT&T), it is working as intended for them.

By the way, HR44/54 Genie (and probably the new HS17 as well) have 4 MAC addresses. There is the WiFi MAC, Ethernet MAC, MoCA MAC, and a server MAC (not sure what hardware in the Genie that last one generates from).
And has been noted on these & other forums, those MAC addresses don't always follow their physical connection. Somehow the receiver will switch to one of those MAC addresses for no reason, even if that physical layer is not technically being used. It is some wonky crap!

Didn't realize MoCA has a separate MAC Address.

On Sunday a client text me after rebooting his Genie DVR because of no Internet connectivity. Then, I notice his Ruckus APs randomly going offline. So, I had to disable Ethernet connection on Genie via managed Ethernet switch and blocked Genie WiFi MAC address from Zone Director. Once I blocked the Genie from connecting (both wired and wireless), his network stabilized.

Luckily I had this much visibility and control of the network. However, it's really difficult to explain all this to a client. Frankly I don't understand why this is happening, but possibly an STP issue, like with Sonos on occasion.

Hosting Services by ipHouse