The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Saturday November 17, 2018 at 09:07
3PedalMINI
Loyal Member
July 2009
On November 16, 2018 at 17:18, Ranger Home said...
eero is considered high end now? Really?

No, But ruckus is about as high end as you can get. considering the crap people think is good eero is heads and tails better then that stuff. Like sonos, it has its place.

On November 16, 2018 at 17:32, mrtristan said...
It's time to seriously look at another career.

Yup

On November 16, 2018 at 17:32, Mac Burks (39) said...
The real problem is not setting expectations. When a client wants you to integrate something you don't work with you have to tell them it may cost more money. Time and possibly hardware to get your oven? connected.

Then you will find out if they really need the oven online or if they just wanted it connected because it has WiFi.

AV Guy ...You really need that VCR? It's like an extra $2500 in composite to hdmi converters and HDMI distribution.

Client ...Oh...never mind then. We haven't used it in ten years.

I think you missed the point of my post. Its calls im getting from peoples $9 IOT device not connecting to their multi thousand dollar network, do you not see the issue here? I know its hardware based in the receiving devices. The GE oven was an item purchased for the sole reason they could turn on the oven from alexa/remotely. the replaced a WOLF range with it (FACEPALM) So technically by owning the network we now also own every device in the house. you cannot think that we set an expectation of "Hey you need a 20k network to support the size of your home and your devices, but sorry, we also have to add a cheap network for the sub $50 devices" thats a "WTF are you talking about GTFO of my house situation"

Clients dont get it, and when they win a $9 smart plug at a office raffle they are going to expect that $9 pos to work with their 20k network.

On November 16, 2018 at 20:24, buzz said...
I have resorted to reaserecting an old 'B' router to support ancient devices. It's very annoying.

pretty much!

On November 16, 2018 at 20:32, Mario said...
Brendon, tell them that the reason IoT devices won't connect is substandard network parts used in said devices AND oudated or substandard security measures.
Tell them that if you make changes to allow those devices on the network, every kid on the block will be able to 'hack' into their network, steal their data or use it for illegal stuff.
Ask them if they want to sign a release form acknowledging the risks.
Otherwise, offer to set up separate AP network that's separate and lockdown to only those devices.

Doesnt work that way, see my response to Mac.
The Bitterness of Poor Quality is Remembered Long after the Sweetness of Price is Forgotten! - Benjamin Franklin

Hosting Services by ipHouse