Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 28 made on Wednesday November 14, 2018 at 00:51
Dean Roddey
May 2004
Their new interface is cloud based, surprise. And, like a lot of such, it's not automation system friendly in terms of what's required to set up the connection (uses OAuth2 which is really phone app oriented, not driver interface oriented.)

I complained about the coming cloudiness on their forum, explaining to them that that it is not really integration friendly. The guy gave me an example of why it was good: that they could force out upgrades.

Of course the previous thing I'd complained about earlier that day is that a forced upgrade had broken our UPnP driver, and the users couldn't stop it or roll it back. I pointed out that what installers and automation system vendors want is consistency and robustness, and that forced updates are anathema to that.

I doubt seriously that they even consulted a single automation system vendor before making their decision on their new API. I don't think they really care about the automation world anymore. They are on the road to the mass market and are going to do whatever is necessary to make that happen. Once you go public, you have to flog the profit horse constantly or you are in trouble.
Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com

Hosting Services by ipHouse