The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 18 made on Wednesday August 29, 2018 at 22:25
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On August 28, 2018 at 02:48, Ernie Gilman said...
mike, back under the rock. Now.

Be careful of speakers that impress you. Very often these won't be impressive in a year but will sound bad to you, even irritate the hell out of you.

Look (ok, listen) for speakers that don't impress you. That don't sound like speakers. That sound like there's nothing there but the musicians. The nice warm tone on Joan Baez's "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" is a resonance!

All sound is resonance- what was your point?

I never meant they should be sensational but some are, in their realism. Many people are wowed by boom/crash, but grow out of it- some don’t. Speakers must not be irritating. Once that has been accomplished, they need to be free of distortion. The debate about what makes a speaker qualify as ‘great’ will never end.

Nothing there but the musicians? You know most recordings are an assembly of recorded tracks and snippets of sounds, right? I remember you writing that you were involved in some direct to disc recordings, but how do we know how every one of those instruments sound? Most of the reverberant sound WRT instruments and vocals is there because they wanted it, so they used effects to add it. Un-mic’d bass, drum triggers, keyboards and some other instruments go direct to the mixing console.

All we can do is hope to find speakers that reproduce sound in a way that pleases us. We hear different speakers constantly and we may like many for different reasons, but we’ll still prefer something over the rest.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse