The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 26 made on Saturday August 11, 2018 at 11:22
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On August 11, 2018 at 09:26, highfigh said...
But this link shows that 52% of people who use the word, use 'miniscule', so majority wins, right? :D

That statement hardly supports any position at all since you didn't provide a link. And no.

Not that it's an unnecessary detail, but I think that point is moot since we're aware that the wire length can't be excessive and that best practice would be to locate the transformers so the wires to the chimes is as short as possible.

None of these details are moot if you want to design something. Most of them are moot if you want to throw things together and hope.

Since the load won't be particularly heavy, the J-box for the transformer power with 120VAC can be centrally located. Hopefully, the design of the house will allow for this location.

The load might be heavy for a doorbell transformer. You're generalizing about something that has to be specific.

You're also not using the plural to name your locations, so you're assuming that one transformer location and probably one transformer is all that will be needed. During my search for parts at the start of this adventure, I only found transformers that output as much as 50VA. That's not enough for six doorbells, so if those are the largest available transformers, it can't be done with one transformer. This means relays MUST be used to separate AC secondary circuits or transformers must put in parallel (which is not a good idea).

An advantage of using relays is that the actual AC secondary wiring can be shorter than it would be if there were only one transformer location.

Last edited by Ernie Gilman on August 11, 2018 14:35.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse