The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 25 made on Saturday August 11, 2018 at 09:26
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On August 10, 2018 at 12:11, Ernie Gilman said...
"Miniscule" has only one definition: a misspelling of "minuscule." You didn't understand that?

But this link shows that 52% of people who use the word, use 'miniscule', so majority wins, right? :D

You're totally correct.

The transformer comment was info as to what transformers might be available. If, for instance, only 20 VA transformers were available, then it might not be possible to design a wiring scheme where a transformer powers more than one chime.

And that would be OK, if only 20VA transformers were available but since that's not true, we don't really need to worry about it- we just need to find a transformer that can handle more chimes. A good place to look would be transformer manufacturers- maybe they sell tapped transformers for this purpose.

Depending also on the wire length and gauge.

Not that it's an unnecessary detail, but I think that point is moot since we're aware that the wire length can't be excessive and that best practice would be to locate the transformers so the wires to the chimes is as short as possible. Since the load won't be particularly heavy, the J-box for the transformer power with 120VAC can be centrally located. Hopefully, the design of the house will allow for this location.

The relays will never latch, since latching means switching and staying in the switched state. Any relays used in this will be set up to close momentarily.

I guess 'closed' would be a better word. The relays need to be momentary with sufficient current capacity, for this application. However, it's easy enough to make momentary relays latch, but it requires another switch to break the circuit unless the switch is the On/Off type and that's not what this project requires.

Side note- if you ever need a cheap buzzer and only have a Bosch-type relay and a >2Amp DC power supply, you can connect +12VDC to both terminals of the coil (tabs 85 and 86), through a switch. It won't last long, but it does work. Those relays can be made to 'latch' too, but it does require a way to break the circuit for the coil. (just in case you decide to install a kill switch in a car or something similar)
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse