The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 42 made on Monday July 30, 2018 at 08:54
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On July 24, 2018 at 10:25, SB Smarthomes said...
In agreement.  Of course there are houses and other buildings made completely of concrete... still doesn't make it a common construction method in the US.  During your career how many homes & businesses have you been involved with during construction?  How many of them were all concrete?

When Wright built his homes, there were far less considerations than for a home now with all it's mechanical and electrical systems,  not to mention meeting current CA building requirements!

That's the problem... hardly anyone is doing this, so there are very few people with experience.  Trying to compare concrete dams, nuclear facilities, runways and roads to someones Living Room wall doesn't even make sense...

Do you really think that if I contact someone at www.concrete.org they'd instruct me on how to form in a central vac inlet?  I don't think they'd have any experience with this either.

Contact the AIA- they should be able to tell you where concrete construction for residences is happening.

How is a central vac line different from plumbing and electrical conduit, which would also need to pass through or be situated in the concrete?

BTW- central vac WAS an option in the very early part of the 1900s- I have worked on a house that was built in 1905 and the 3rd floor had a brass cap on a fitting in the base molding outside of a closet, leading to a 2" pipe coming out over the basement stairway landing. It could have been installed after the place had been built, but it would have been a real bitch. They had vacuum cleaners, so a wealthy person who wanted central vac wasn't much of a stretch.

Do you think this is a totally unique build? Don't bet on it.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse