The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 31 made on Thursday July 19, 2018 at 08:25
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On July 18, 2018 at 12:14, SB Smarthomes said...
I think the biggest issue is just the unique construction.  Building with concrete is not very common in the US, so no one knows how to do it.

Building with concrete is very common in many other parts of the world, but they generally aren't trying to produce a finish quality surface with it and probably aren't dealing with things like central vac, shade pockets, etc.

Excuse me? You mean complete houses made of concrete, right? Frank Lloyd Wright build many homes this way- hotels, too. His use of concrete was over 100 years ago and it still happens. The inspectors told him they wouldn't allow his concrete lily pad roof support columns at the SC Johnson HQ because they didn't thing they would be able to support the load, so he built one, so it could be loaded with bags of sand and gravel. It was still standing when they exceeded seven times the maximum load support ability they required. If you're referring to poured basements, it's done all over the country.

However, central vac, shade pockets and accessories like these are small details to those who do it. Ever think about the amount of concrete in a dam? How about a nuclear reactor and its cooling tanks? Airport runways? Roadways that are over 12" thick and made to handle heavy vehicles?

If you want answers, contact this organization-

https://www.concrete.org/
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse