The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 28 made on Sunday July 8, 2018 at 21:06
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On July 8, 2018 at 10:11, highfigh said...
Doesn't need to be considered as having 'grain' since using wood that's glued across the grain and cut so its long grain constitutes the depth doesn't work. Even if the piece is square and only the long grain is supported some wood will bend easily and some will break without much of a load.

I see here something that hints at how you and I disagree on some things: it's the point of view.

I say that a cabinetmaker calls the direction of the grain in a piece of wood its "length" while the same direction in particle board, which has no grain, is its "width."

You say "Doesn't need to be considered as having 'grain' since...."

The starting point here was that the cabinetmaker IS TALKING ABOUT WOOD WITH GRAIN. The ideas flow from that starting point. Grain is an obvious and necessary property of the material under discussion. Thus "grain" has to be taken into account if it matters. It matters to the cabinetmaker.

Frankly, then, I don't know what you're talking about.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse