The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 37 made on Thursday June 14, 2018 at 15:34
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On June 14, 2018 at 10:01, highfigh said...
There's a bit of a difference between a kid stealing gum and killing someone because life means nothing to the killer.

It's as if you had not read my post.
YES there is a huge difference between those things. Goldenz had already agreed with the death penalty for murder, and was proposing it for stealing as well. My obviously egregious example, positing exactly what you just said, but asking him where he draws the line, was intended to tease out of him the details of how he felt about the death penalty for stealing.

He's human. I can't believe he has NEVER stolen anything. But he also wrote:
On June 13, 2018 at 20:28, goldenzrule said...
...I cannot speak about any family as I do not know of any that stole.

And in so doing, he has stated that he is unwilling to imagine his position. I never said anyone in his family stole anything. I asked if he would want the death penalty for them if they had. It's a poor philosopher who cannot do a thought experiment and conclude how he would behave.

Most people are shocked to learn that in my 43 years of life, I have never even had a drink of alcohol.

Where did that come from? That's a total change of subject!
| If you want to live your life as a decent person, you do not take what is not yours, period.
Yes. Agreed. Death penalty, not so much.

On June 14, 2018 at 09:32, highfigh said...
...Hell, some of us don't sleep through the night, anyway- we may as well go for a walk and if we happen to find a pickup softball game, we'll already have a few bats.

On June 14, 2018 at 09:35, highfigh said...
Not sentenced by a court- that wouldn't be a proportional penalty.

Hmmm. These are two different opinions of what should happen.

We are obviously conflicted on these things. I'll submit that feelings get in the way of judging what should be done.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse