The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 21 made on Monday June 11, 2018 at 08:21
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On June 10, 2018 at 19:32, Ernie Gilman said...
No cabinetmaker has moved the equipment to make connections, so he needs help from someone who has. That's you: you know how big that "room" should be. I cannot understand how you can see it any differently. How the HELL can he make decisions about things he has not done and has not seen?

Bullcrap! No cabinetmaker has ever moved equipment to make connections? That's absolute bullshyte! You think they all hire CI people to do this crap for them? c

A similar situation made a client say "screw it -- you design the cabinet." I designed it, the GC had construction guys make it, and it came out almost okay. They used black waterbase paint, which took about two weeks to harden (but didn't have any volatile components ! ! ). I made a mistake at the interface between the speaker portion of the cabinet and the doors covering the equipment. All in all, though, it works.

Designing cabinetry involves the finish, so yeah, you also made a mistake there- you left that to house painters, not furniture painters. I offered to make the AV cabinet for the 3rd floor system for the same client and they had the guy doing the trim build it. That paint still sticks to the feet of the equipment, eight years later. This time, I told the client that it should be painted with pre-cat lacquer after hearing that the shelves would be painted, but the cabinet guy used pre-finished plywood and MDF for the raised panels, so that particular problem was avoided. The painter did a great job- the finish is beautiful but two weeks after I installed the equipment, we're still waiting for cabinet boy to install the drawers and doors.

You have to design in a way for the shelves not to slide and drop the components.

I have to design that? Again, bullshyte! However, if I had designed this cabinet, none of the problems would have arisen and it sure as hell wouldn't have taken 7 months. I could have whittled a cabinet faster than that. It's a Euro-style cabinet with raised panel sides, a few shelves & drawers and no face frame, so it racks when someone lifts it by any corner, even after he said it would be very stiff. He screwed it together- it's basically a shop-made flat pack that could have come from Ikea. I would have used a face frame and it would have been far more rigid- the floor in that room isn't flat and we talked about how to level the cabinet- I mentioned Euro-style leveling feet and he put blocks of wood. Really made a nice attempt.

What BS. Did you tell him particular dimensions?

Yes, I told him the relief at the back of the shelves should be 2" deep x 6" long. It's pretty easy to do that with a template and router. Very clean cut, too.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse