The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 20 made on Sunday June 10, 2018 at 19:32
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On June 10, 2018 at 18:56, highfigh said...
If a cabinetmaker doesn't know that they need to ask questions, they should do something else.

Well, Laugh Out Loud. If an installer doesn't know that he needs to guarantee that he's going to get the dimensions he needs, he should do something else. You're talking about the cabinetmaker making assumptions about how to use the numbers he is given. I'm talking about the CI making assumptions about how the cabinetmaker is going to use the numbers you give him.

I told him I needed room to move the equipment in order to make the connections, that the connections shouldn't be cramped at the rear and that I would like holes cut in the back panel, at specific places. Didn't get the holes, either.

No cabinetmaker has moved the equipment to make connections, so he needs help from someone who has. That's you: you know how big that "room" should be. I cannot understand how you can see it any differently. How the HELL can he make decisions about things he has not done and has not seen?

"This turd said I should be able to have it here by the first week of December". That was in October and it finally arrived in late April, but it needed to be painted and that took six freaking weeks.

A similar situation made a client say "screw it -- you design the cabinet." I designed it, the GC had construction guys make it, and it came out almost okay. They used black waterbase paint, which took about two weeks to harden (but didn't have any volatile components ! ! ). I made a mistake at the interface between the speaker portion of the cabinet and the doors covering the equipment. All in all, though, it works.

I could see your point if the guy had received dimensions from us, but he saw, touched and measured the GD equipment! It's as if he has never done anything with this stuff.

ASS umptions, still.

Clearly. It's an adverb and I told him, clearly, what I needed. I got none of it. No recessed back to allow space for the cabling, no holes to pass them through. Then, he drilled the holes for the shelf pins about an inch from the front and rear, which makes sliding the shelf forward a big problem.

You have to design in a way for the shelves not to slide and drop the components.
Oh, and I also asked for a U-shaped cutout at the rear edge of the shelves, to allow the cables to pass between levels. Nope.

What BS. Did you tell him particular dimensions?
He even wrote something on his pad as I spoke, but it may not have been what I was saying. I think he was playing Hangman, or something.

Bold type isn't shouting, ALL CAPITOL LETTERS IS SHOUTING! I would think you would know that by now.

I didn't say you were shouting. Read this again:
The reason this pissed me off so much -- What was it that pissed you off? The bold print makes it look like you're pissed off, but you're not actually SHOUTING... but after all the things you wrote, I can't tell what "it" is.

I specifically say you were not shouting. So, yeah, I know that by now.

I answered your comments separately and immediately below to make it easier to read, rather than use the same font, size and color. Was that not clear?

I've found that
a pipe

as part of a quote
sets off a quotation from the original post text. There's no need for Bold Print.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse