The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Friday April 6, 2018 at 12:26
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On April 6, 2018 at 11:04, Brad Humphrey said...
In such a large space, the high frequency will dissipate quickly. Many reason why live sound & venue type speakers use horn loaded high frequency drivers.
One of the worse things about the Proficent speakers, is the nasty sounding highs. So in a large venue like that, it doesn't surprise me they may have sounded a little more tame.

As I wrote, it's 14' high, so my head is about 8' from the tweeters and I used the textile domes- I have only heard a few metal domes that I liked and those were MB Quart car speakers. I have used my phone's music, Pandora One, music from my laptop plugged into the mixer and it really did surprise me. Even at 4'-11", the owner hasn't had any problems with feedback from the mic headset, nor have the other instructors.

While the midrange is more important, screechy, nasty highs aren't tolerable and when I fired up the RTA, it was smooth enough that I only used a gentle downward slope to get the sound I wanted. As I wrote, it's all cheap stuff (well, except for the JBL Control SUB200)- Behringer A500 power amp for the sub, Behringer 15 band stereo EQ with feedback destroyer and sub crossover, little Rolls mixers, Dayton MA-1240 power amp and ART Head Amp to control the four speaker pairs so no area is too loud. The walls are concrete block, ceiling is drywall and the concrete floor has a continuous rubber mat covering it. I think the speakers are about 12' apart, so there aren't any hot spots, either. 40W to each of the eight speakers and whatever the A500 puts out going to the subs is more than enough- it becomes too loud before the sound takes a dump. I also hid the equalizer behind a blank rack panel and set the sub level so that even if someone decides to be the "musical expert", cranking the control on the power amp only makes it too loud, it won't blow up the subs or amp.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse