The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 54 made on Wednesday December 27, 2017 at 10:12
Mario
Loyal Member
November 2006
On December 27, 2017 at 01:07, Hi-FiGuy said...
Running a house and powering an industrial nation are two very different things.
You even say in your own words you don't get 100% duty cycle 100% of the time.
I am not saying we don't need to change our ways, we do,but solar is no where near the potential of running this nation 100% duty cycle 24/7, not even close.

Me, I want my A/C 100% 24/7, hell I want all my electrical needs met 24/7 with no compromise.

2 fixes that can be implemented on a global scale that I mentioned that I'm not able or willing to do due to cost.
1- Larger scale power grid. Use the power generated in area that's currently in the sunlight to supply ares in the dark. Roughly 50% of the earth is in the sun/dark at any given time. I stated about 33% is in PV producing state.
2- The only reason I don't have 100% of production at my house is due to cost.
I'm not a tree hugger and made the investment in PV system due to net positive gains in reduced electrical needs and buffer from constantly raising prices.
Nothing (other than cost) is stopping me from getting additional PV panels and simply discarding excess electricity or sending it back to the grid and getting a check from local power company.
There is simply no ROI for me to do it.

Also, there are plenty of examples of large scale commercial and even industrial sites that use 100% of their electrical needs from PVs. The point I'm trying to make is not who is right or wrong. I'm simply trying to present information for people that are interesting in PVs that there are real, current day options.
I've been in many meetings where individuals were skeptical or misinformed. Once we ran the numbers, the ROI was clearly demonstrated and their reservations or concerns were addressed.
The decision was theirs to make, and I really didn't care which way they went -- as long as they had the correct data to make those decisions.

Hosting Services by ipHouse