Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 33 made on Monday December 18, 2017 at 18:09
Craig Aguiar-Winter
September 2002
On December 18, 2017 at 09:56, goldenzrule said...
I'm not saying that your idea is bad, just curious as to why no subwoofers? Is it a matter of placement? I know there are a handful of manufacturers that make in ceiling subs to match up with their ceiling speakers. Again, just curious as to why rule out the sub, not saying it's necessarily the better path to go.

I'll admit I've never used in ceiling subs. But I like the idea. Placement is an issue. It's hard enough to put four speakers in a kitchen and keep the symetry with all the pot lights and such. Finding a spot for a single sub seems problematic and then Im concerned that I'll have chosen that one magic spot that sounds terrible. Can't exactly move it after wards. With the sub comes the amplifier and the extra expense. KEF has a line of subs to match their in ceiling speakers and they can be installed to run passively off the same L&R amplifier outputs as the speakers, but not to the same level of quality as if you ran off of a dedicated amp.

Someone else made the point that people just want back ground music and adding a sub would take it to the next level but adding it to every zone would get expensive.

I'm certainly open to using subs in the ceiling, but in this case I'm just exploring how to make the speakers them selves sound as good as possible. This would be relevant even if adding a sub as well?

At the risk of thread drift I'll ask where are people placing in ceiling subs for the best sound? Right in the centre of the ceiling, as far from a corner as possible? Right in a ceiling/wall corner? Using an in-wall sub?

Craig.
My wife says I can't do sarcasm. She says I just sound like an a$$hole.

Hosting Services by ipHouse