The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 34 made on Monday November 27, 2017 at 12:34
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On November 27, 2017 at 08:57, highfigh said...
I woldn't do an outlet for a client that comes from another junction box and is hot- that's illegal and my insurance wouldn't cover it, anyway.

?? If, by "junction box," you include an existing outlet, running an outlet from an existing outlet is done all the time! A thing called a "junction box" where you don't know what circuits are in it... well, it's a bad idea to take power from such a thing, since, for instance, it might have a dimmed switch leg in it. Could you explain a bit just what's illegal?

The inlet/outlet whip IS legal in Wisconsin and is seen as similar to an extension cord. Also, WI allows making repairs to electrical wiring if leaving it would pose a safety risk. I have had electricians (licensed and bonded) OK me terminating a box or dropping a whip for a TV when we have worked together in the past- they know I would never intentionally do it wrong because I know their profession is at stake and it might save them a trip just for one outlet. Pretty much a no-brainer if they would have to return for other work, anyway. I tag the work I did and they can check it next time they return.

When you say "dropping a whip for a TV" you don't state whether this is from an existing outlet box or from a "junction box," which makes me ask the same question: what are you talking about that is illegal?
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse