The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 26 made on Tuesday November 21, 2017 at 21:55
Mario
Loyal Member
November 2006
On November 21, 2017 at 21:01, mrtristan said...
Doesn't it sort of defeat the purpose of having a UPS if you are going to schedule a reboot on a device somewhat randomly? Do the majority of UPS units actually stabilize voltage in a way that prevents peaks and dips away from the ideal voltage or are they merely providing power when power goes out? I'm not sure if sub $500 UPS is actually stabilizing voltage. Tell me if I'm wrong. I can see the usefulness from an IT standpoint in that it can prevent the loss of data. If we are periodically rebooting a router in a commercial setting, is someone making sure that it is not happening, say, when a network device is performing an auto update?

If we do not know when crucial network events happen and a UPS is not actually stabilizing voltage what would its purpose be?

No. Purpose of UPS is to provide Uninterrupted Power (Supply).
Yes, decent power supply will provide true sine wave (not crappyily rectified square looking one)

Having WattBox like device after UPS is to deal with the inevitable need to reboot device due to lockup, firmware updates or scheduled down events.
I have few clients that deem their server access of such high regard that they want the server shut down after hours.

Hosting Services by ipHouse