The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Saturday October 28, 2017 at 12:36
Mario
Loyal Member
November 2006
On October 27, 2017 at 11:24, Ernie Gilman said...
Want help? PROVIDE MODEL NUMBERS.

People just won't think to do this. I wrote my signature probably ten years ago after counting actually more than a thousand times when people -- yes, smart people -- asked for help but left out the model number and sometimes even the brand.

If you leave out the model number you make it impossible to get an instant response from the one wacko out here who has figured out all the things that can be done with that model. And that wacko is probably out here! Sure, sooner or later someone will tell you to provide the model number... why is it so hard to imagine that it might be helpful to do that at the start?

If there aren't terminals made for this, you have to be sure not to draw too much current with whatever you piggyback onto the circuit. Don't want a simple add-on to kill the unit!

Too bad the model number isn't known. Someone took the time to look through "some of the manuals" for you but could not actually help you.

Ernie,
You've 'known' me for almost a decade now.
While no one is as anal as you, I probably come the closest to you.
The reason I didn't provide a model number, is because there isn't one printed on the board. [Link: photos.app.goo.gl]
As this situation evolved, and vendors started getting back to me, I was able to spend more time on the interwebs and figure out (by comparing pictures) what the most likely part number might be.
With that, I was able to download several manuals and get board layout to compare.
This started as a simple switch replacement request, but has grown into a much better solution of using already defined contact points as MFG intended.

Hosting Services by ipHouse