The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 30 made on Wednesday October 18, 2017 at 13:45
SpivR
Long Time Member
March 2017
On October 17, 2017 at 10:41, tomciara said...
I had a situation recently where I was getting erratic speeds, rather large variations when it was in bridge mode behind an Xfinity gateway.

The Eero tech recommended bridge mode for the gateway, and let the Eero do the routing. In this case he was right, and the wifi became more stable.

Depends on the router?

Xfinity/Comcast sucks!

Always put Xfinity into bridge mode and then use a real router.

Since Eero is not a great router, with Xfinity you still want to use a separate router. This setup I use is:

internet > Xfinity bridge > REAL ROUTER > Eero bridge mode

For "Real Router" I suggest Luxul, Ubiquity, Cisco, etc.

For cost savings, I have also deployed Synology 2600AC (with Wi-Fi turned off) as the router. It is easy to manage and has some good added value features - primarily VPN modes.

Some consider Synology consumer and not pro, so YMMV, but in all cases, put the Eeros into bridge mode.

Eeros are bad routers because:
Eeros have limited address reservation table size
Eeros have no web console - you gotta do everything on a tiny smartphone or tablet screen
Eeros have no easy "backup" and "restore" of configurations - it is all "auto-magically" controlled by the cloud.
Eeros have problems if the Internet is down - sometimes cannot authenticate or login to the Eeros unless the Internet is working or you have cellular internet on your device

Over time, either Eero becomes a real router, or the professional routers get their mesh support up-to-snuff and Eero goes bye bye in the pro channel.

With Eero's only PoE solution a horrible "strap-on" kludge, and more of their effort in the add-on software subscription stuff (the consumer security option), I'm not convinced they really want pros in the long run.

When the management portal is released, we'll get a better idea of which way they are headed (ignoring the $150 hit for dealers to even get to use it).

Hosting Services by ipHouse