The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 19 made on Saturday October 14, 2017 at 18:30
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
May 2007
I'm not real clear about what you are asking but...if you are talking about managing the bundles of filthy taped up cables at the head end while trying to terminate and test cables...i do it this way.

First thing i do is get all zip ties tape chunks of drywall mud off the wires and stretch them all out. Then i clean each cable with a microfiber and windex. Then i sort cables...speaker cable here cat 5 there so on and so forth. Then i neatly bundle and route cables to their locations. SO speaker cables to the rack where the amp goes...Cat5's for the security cameras to the location of the NVR....rinse repeat. Then i trim and relabel all cables leaving enough for a service loop and enough to get to anything in that rack. So usually like 10 feet once the bundle makes its way into the rack.

Now everything is manageable. Its clean new label all the same length and you dont have to trip over cables because everything is bundled and routed.

With Cat5's and RG6 i usually just randomly punch them down on patch panels. I don't worry abut trying to keep them in a specific order. My spreadsheet gets updated on the fly so i know whats where. Speaker cable and fiber are direct connections.

Once everything is trimmed routed punched down its much easier to tone/test/verify.

Before and after photos of a project.

When we first arrived after sheetrock went up...

After a week of sorting and routing...

Last edited by Mac Burks (39) on October 14, 2017 19:30.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse