The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 35 made on Thursday October 12, 2017 at 05:43
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On October 11, 2017 at 12:21, juliejacobson said...
HDMI sucks. I get that. I hate it. You hate it. The world hates it. That doesn't mean the guy who started the business 20+ years ago is evil. Just like the guy who invented styrofoam isn't evil. It all came back to bite us in the butt.

btw, according to DRM legal scholars (I checked in August), it is still NOT LEGAL to sell products that allow users to copy copyrighted DVDs. "Fair Use" is widely misunderstood. It is shameful.

Why do YOU hate HDMI? Have you been called by a customer during a weekend evening when the cable you installed stopped working? Have you driven three hours to a project just to replace one HDMI canle that had worked until it suddenly became obsolete in your absense? Did you need to buy a replacement for cables and have to eat the cost and then need to take the time (unbilled, BTW) to explain why it happened and then continue that you can't guarantee it will never happen again? Did you lose any amount of credibility in the eyes of a client when you couldn't provide instant answers to the simple question "Why isn't it working?"?

What has HDMI done to harm you?

Fair use has never allowed selling copies of copyrighted material. I never wrote that it did.

You seem to be defending the invention and use of styrofoam because it's useful in spite of the bad aspects.

If we all hate HDMI, why has it been allowed to exist when it has been problematic for so long? When a technology stops being useful, it should be discontinued but this is like a virus that has mutated after people stopped taking their meds because "I feel fine", rather than killing it.

You wrote that you're proud to know him and that you respect him. The latter, I can understand, to a point, but I don't know why you would be proud of someone else's achievement.

I also don't understand why you seem pr
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse