The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 26 made on Tuesday September 5, 2017 at 10:08
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On September 3, 2017 at 18:56, Ernie Gilman said...
When hell freezes over they will offer this, or if a court order is issued somewhere.

"Politely" is a key element of your success. Another element that you probably used was knowledgeably using technical terms. When I was the interconnect company for an A/V chain, any time I called the phone company I spoke of COs instead of phone lines. I used terms like "off hook" and "battery," if appropriate, too.

It seems that if they hear exactly used technical terms, they'll be happier to help you out. They'll know that they're not going to have to figure out what the HELL you're talking about, and that you'll understand them.

This is why I ragged on highfigh for not meaning "everything" when he said "everything" -- technical inaccuracy like that would quickly derail a service phone call and there's no need to be inaccurate.

You actually expect people to know the technical terminology when they're not from this field, or anything similar? I called for tech support a few weeks ago (don't remember which company) and the guy said he came from he hospitality industry, which has absolutely nothing to do with my call or their products. Most of the tech support people I have spoken with lately won't know what tip and ring are.

Last week, ATT pissed away two hours of my time when a set top box wouldn't take an update and I did everything 'John' told me to do and yes, I mean 'everything' since he didn't tell me to do anything I wouldn't want to. The irony in the fact that my cell phone (ATT is my provider) wouldn't hold the call didn't seem to phase him.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse