The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Friday April 28, 2017 at 14:10
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On April 28, 2017 at 13:06, Brad Humphrey said...
Note: If the DL85 (or even the DL95) is installed in such a way as to have a light source with a bunch of IR shining right into it... it's not going to work, period. Nothing on Earth will. So make 100% sure that you minimize this by placing the IR receiver in the correct spot.

A dozen years ago I installed a system for a client in a room that faced due south onto the ocean in Malibu. We experienced some problems with lack of IR control. (We were using just straight IR.)

After a couple of days I realized that as the sun went across the sky, for about two hours there was terrific glare off the ocean... thousands of tiny waves making thousands of tiny momentary reflections of sunlight as the waves moved... and each reflection having some IR energy.

Sure enough, we closed the curtains before that time and all was well. If we tried to close the curtains after that time started, well... they had Makita shade hardware and it was operated by IR, so, no go.

The things we run into!

It sounds like your whole problem you are trying to get pass, is a very old (or cheap) LCD TV. That is using a CFL backlight. The only solution might be to replace the TV with a more modern LED backlit model, that will not interfere with IR signals.

Yup. I use a simple Xantech block in the bedroom to control the satellite receiver in the living room, and for the first five minutes after the TV is turned on, the feedback light is lit and there's no control of the satellite receiver.

Also, it sounds like you do not want to spend the proper money to make this work. This stuff is NOT cheap, not if it is done correctly.

Bingo, Ah, So, and Hallelujah.

Using an IR blaster is a lot cheaper than a bunch of IR emitters but it is a BS way to do it. So much can interfere and have problems trying to use a blaster, it just is not a professional way to do things.

"Everybody sit down. Nobody walk anywhere. Get the friggin' Irish Wolfhound out of the room. Okay? Good. Now I'll adjust the volume."
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse