The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Wednesday April 26, 2017 at 08:22
ctjordan33
Long Time Member
July 2016
On April 25, 2017 at 19:37, djsvetljo said...
So a new customer with existing equipment, the amp in the subject. I got a request to increase volume if possible in one of the zones. Source outputs 2 volts, input gain on the Epsiode was at 50%. If I increase it, zone goes "red" on the front LED and sound is almost fully muted. It kind of looks like clipping protection.

It is not described in the manual though.

So I check the specs - bridged should give us twice the power (obviously not twice the volume but it should be at least sensible) and I had 2 zone available - problem solved. Speakers are Klipsch, 100w 8 ohm, dual 6.5" woofer and a horn. So I bridge 2 channels/zones and hock up - "the assumed clipping protection" process described above now kicks in at 30% of the input gain and the perceived volume isn't louder at all. WTF I ask my self. Tested every single channel/zone and it acts the same way both bridged and unbridged. Next, I keep one speaker in a bridged mode (140watts they say) and the other speaker in normal which for 8ohm speaker should be 50watts. I turn the input gain up till it clips, then slightly back for each speaker and then I listen - they sound exactly the same, perfect balance. Didn't have SPL meter with me.

I called Episode support and they couldn't explain to me what's going on. They don't think it's a fault (all 12 channels act like that). So I think what's going on is their specs are s*1t and the fact that it clips at much lower "input gain" when bridged makes think it isn't really an input gain. The guy on the phone try to even tell me that because the speakers have 300 peak power "it pulls more power from the amp that it can handle" which I think doesn't make sense.

What do you guys think? I am curious because it's the first time I deal with Episode and other than the bridging issue, it sounded really good.

Continuous Power Output
All channels driven
50 watts RMS at 8 ohms
70 watts RMS at 4 ohms
Bridged Power Output
All channels driven
140 Watts per channel RMS at 8 ohms
Note: Maintain 8 ohm minimum when using bridge mode
Input Sensitivity 500mV
Input Impedance 20,000 ohms
S/N ratio 95 dB
Frequency Response 20 Hz to 20 kHz
Distortion (Unbridged) 0.1% THD 20 Hz-20 kHz
Distortion (Bridged) 0.1% THD 20 Hz-20 kHz

There's a document about the dials on the back of that amp, it's an input gain.

[Link: snapav.com]

Hosting Services by ipHouse