Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 20 made on Saturday March 11, 2017 at 16:18
Don Heany
September 2008
The wife and I like them as they are, and the older the better. Our current house was built in 1952 around an RCA plant (color TV boom) in Lancaster PA. The neighborhood is full of beautiful old homes that make it one of the most highly sought after in the area. Our cape cod style is a 4br 1 &1.5 bath. It's rock solid, dimensional lumber bliss. We're fortunate that the "flipper" only went so far as to throw a couple gallons of cheap paint on the walls. I re-worked the Kitchen and Bath areas extensively and we stand to do well basically "flipping" it ourselves over a period of 6 years.

So, we're actively looking to find our "forever" home, exclusively pre- 1900 homes. We toured an 1850 "second empire victorian" today and it's just sh!tty enough that we really want it, as it's flip free.

Being in this industry for so long gave me an immeasurable amount of knowledge to perform a good bit of other projects that I have the first run successfully out of the way. I tend to do every project 3-5x better the second time. So, long story short- I live in a 6yr flip and am striving towards a 30yr flip. And really, the market for move-in-ready is prompting a huge wave of corner cutting BS, that is undeniable. Maybe jacking interest rates again would shrink the issue, lol!

Probably more prolific in my stance on modern construction is that pretty much every house I work on (post 1950) is barely built to survive the term of a mortgage. There was a period (late 90's) that a lot of new construction projects actually had FOAM friggin' exterior walls! Grateful that that seemed to be a short lived trend.

Hosting Services by ipHouse