The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 27 made on Saturday January 21, 2017 at 11:44
SWFLMike
Long Time Member
January 2007
On January 20, 2017 at 21:14, Mac Burks (39) said...
This is what i was getting at with my earlier post. Lutron has any and all features anyone could ever want in their lighting system...but...you are going to have to use the right product. If you want a bunch of features and Control4 integration go with something that has been built for it like RA2 or QS.

Or Illumination! This is what irks me - they've *HAD* all this stuff for a LONG time, but they're either 'improving it' or still charging an arm and a leg for it! So maybe I do agree a bit more with 3PM than I thought. Reel in the prices JUST a bit, and make it up on volume because it'll only be used for 50+ device systems...? I don't know.

Yesterday I was working with a decent sized Lutron system (~75 devices) in a house that was built in about 2000. It was put in with an Interactive processor, and a couple years ago we swapped it out for an Illumination processor when the original got unstable. We didn't go QS because the programming couldn't be converted (at the time, anyway).

You know what? This old junk still works great. The Savant, and the iPads it runs on, weren't even dreamed of when this stuff originally went in, but it all works together very well. I had to do some troubleshooting and wanted to turn on individual loads in real time. I don't spend much time in Illumination, but had no trouble figuring out how to do this. It was way more intuitive than D3, which I like and use a lot more. I really hate seeing good ideas get abandoned.

So much stuff is getting cheaper and easier (even if the quality wanes). Electricians are rapidly moving in on what was the integrators' turf, and with the way the licenses are structured (in FL anyway), they can do all the stuff they did before, plus more of what we do. Lighting control and audio distribution used to be mainly in the integrators wheelhouse. Sonos and Caseta and all this other IoT stuff has changed that. The exclusivity of integration is going away, so how do you stay specialized?

Hosting Services by ipHouse