The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 24 made on Saturday January 21, 2017 at 03:11
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
May 2007
On January 20, 2017 at 22:16, 3PedalMINI said...
In a 1%er home obviously caseta wouldn't work. It's the wrong product. But if someone is looking into getting started with lighting control then it's a great cheap option. The client I'm going to be providing it to has a modest 2600 sq.ft home, mid century modern and a very open concept. Even if we did every single light in the house he would only be at 37 devices. When caseta is almost 3x cheaper then the cost of RA2 or C4 lighting with a control system at the helm it will be no different. He's spent a lot of money with me in the past, but he just couldn't wrap his head around the cost difference, and I couldn't lie to him. In this case it would make sense.

My response isn't about being in a 1%'ers home. Its a response to this specific thread/application and someone elses comment on Caseta. You want the Toyota Yaris pricing with the BMW Appearance option. Therockhr wants the Toyota Yaris pricing with an MSport upgrade option.

On January 19, 2017 at 11:16, 3PedalMINI said...
I lost my C4 lighting to caseta. Im providing it since i can make a few bucks but this sucks. Hard to argue with the price and capability of Caseta especially when tied to a control system :( Too bad the switches are Fugly

On January 19, 2017 at 15:25, therockhr said...
If they would allow a subset of the Ra2 dimmers, switches and fan controls on the Smart Bridge Pro it would be the most popular wireless lighting system out there.

Want to know what switches look the best? The ones that don't exist. I haven't seen a switch or dimmer in 5 years because we put modules in the clients utility closet so all they see is a keypad. But that comes at a higher price.

Caseta is cheaper and limited by design. It's meant to compete/eliminate with the other crap products at home depot and at amazon. Lutron knows that they aren't going to sell a RA2 or QS system to someone with a $500,000 house...But they know that the guy with the $500k house is going to want lighting control so rather than let some other company make money...Caseta!

Technically Lutron shot them and us in the foot by bringing caseta to the market and having good marketing. Normalally I would have quoted C4 or RA2 buttttttt..caseta fit the bill, perfectly. Know how he found out about it? Was looking at C4 lighting link, then went to FB and saw an add for caseta.... :(

If Control4 is marketing Caseta i would be very afraid to sell anymore Control4 lighting because it would make me think they are ready to stop production.

If Caseta is fitting the bill perfectly then the house doesn't require C4 or RA2. If Caseta handles 99.9% of what the client wants then it's not a Caseta project and the client has to decide if hes willing to live with the limitations or pony up the $ for the upgrade. It's human nature to try and buy champagne with beer money.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse